Thursday, January 16, 2014

ITBS, PT, and Hiking the JMT for FA

How's that for a bunch of letters?

First -- we are fundraising for Feeding America.  Before Christmas, we reached 50% of our $2104 goal.  Now it's time to raise that other 50%.  Please check out our fundraising page and contribute what you can.  Every penny goes straight to Feeding America.

Now, for some slightly bad news...on December 26, I slipped on my icy driveway while loading the car for a hike.  I then did what most outdoor enthusiasts do...I got up, brushed myself off, and drove to the trailhead.

Here's Alex's reenactment of the incident...



In the days that followed, I hiked another mountain, shoveled a bunch of snow, and attempted a third winter ascent.  To make a long story short, I now have Iliotibial Band Syndrome.  Usually, that's an overuse injury.  In my case, I whacked the distal portion when I fell, then I ignored the soreness and carried on as though nothing had happened.

This won't affect the JMT hike.  At least, I'm fairly certain it won't.  I anticipate getting back on the trails within a few weeks, and I hope to be back in usual 4K hiking shape by the end of winter.  We're not hiking the JMT until August (assuming we get our permits), so there's plenty of time to heal.

In the meantime, I'll carry on with gear purchases and planning, though I won't post much about any of that until after I get those permits...I'm worried I'll jinx myself otherwise.

I'll also post short, weekly updates on the physical therapy (PT) process and, eventually, our training hikes.

Please don't forget to donate to Feeding America if you haven't already.  Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment